Brandi Bleak, Robyn Reese, Elizabeth Rodrigue
Means that the product has multiple branching assessment paths and responds to student answers to adjust the level of the questioning. So, for example, if a student gets a question wrong they would get an easier one. If they get it right, they will get a harder one. Great adaptive software can target the specific aspects of complex problems that students are having trouble with and ramp them up in a specific skill.
- Student perspective from Elizabeth
- Workspace assignments
A personalized learning resource for all ages:
Offers practice exercises, instructional videos, and a personalized learning dashboard that empower learners to study at their own pace in and outside of the classroom.
- From kindergarten to calculus
- Self-paced learning tool
- Adaptive technology identifies strengths and learning gaps
- Missions are individualized math experiences grouped by subjects.
Students can use missions to:
- Fill in gaps at their own pace within a certain subject,
- Master skills that are challenging and appropriate for their level
- Use hints and videos immediately when they need help
Free tools for parents and teachers
Khan Academy empowers coaches of all kinds to better understand what their children or students are up to and how best to help them. See at a glance whether a child or student is struggling or if she hit a streak and is now far ahead of the class. Our coach dashboard provides a summary of class performance as a whole as well as detailed student profiles.
Pixar in A Box
- Partnership between Khan Academy and Pixar
- A behind-the-scenes look at how Pixar artists do their jobs.
- Connects math, physics, and computer science topics to animation
- Scaffolds mathematical concepts from the real world to the basic to the advanced.
- Features video tutorials, applets, real-world activities, and assessments.
Free, online, easy-to-use resource aligned with the latest state standards.
What make math nation different?
- Dynamic videos specifically aligned to Florida state standards.
- Videos break down each problem and provide a corresponding study guide so students can follow along at their own pace.
- Encourages collaboration by asking questions that students can answer on the Math Wall
- “Test Yourself!” practice feature - allows students to test their skills in the same computer-based format they will encounter on their course final.
- Free, open source tool
- Includes Adaptive Practice
- Contains content up to calculus (even though name suggests it is not useful for Postsecondary institutions)
- Brain genie—Math-based games and competitions
- Modern look and feel to create similar feel (think fb for math)
- Content is organized into “bytes”--small topic-driven modules. Instructor can create a designated learning plan for students in the class that can be based upon the textbook order or their own judgement.
- Provides classroom use, without any cost to students
- Not adaptive
- Integrates with OER textbooks.
- Less video content and no “help me solve this”
How the system can be used by instructors:
- Free app for Android, iOS, Windows
- Create awareness, different approach
- Application, not just process
- Take a photograph of a mathematical calculation or equation and it solves it for you!
Digital Whiteboards/Collaboration Tools
- Already loaded in every Bb course
- Can schedule and record sessions
- Digital whiteboard
- Can share screen, send files, chat
- Free app-- full individual license $4.99
- The most versatile suite of drawing tools
- Zoom in and out
- Built in equation editor!
- Create custom color palettes
- You own your content
- Host or join collaborative sessions with complete interactive whiteboard toolset and recording
- Allow participants to save copies of collaborative projects on their own devices following a hosted session.
- Free for 1 hour of video, but they control the storage and use of recordings.
- $5.99 a month for a premium subscription (300 hours and video export)
- Cannot control video speed.
- Limited built in backgrounds
- Can search for images using google on the web to integrate
- Can rerecord audio
- Can create new slides in the middle of recording.
- Lots of great content already
- Lots of already existing content
- Built in Math graph paper
- No cost to download the app/set up account
- Can share with student on educreations
- No free drawing tools
- Have to pay to be able to get more backgrounds
- 50 mb storage with free version
- Can't export without paying